Monday 2 April 2012

Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation


I've been using this foundation for the last week or so. I know there have been a million and one reviews on it already but here's my two cents!


I purchased this from Boots for £8.99 (link) in the shade Soft Beige. The shade is okay for me right now - I'm somewhere between an NC25 and NC30 in MAC right now. There are six shades in the range which cater reasonably well for light to medium skin tones but if you're any darker than an NC40, you might struggle to find a decent match, unfortunately. 



I think the packaging is a bit gaudy but I do love the fact it comes with a pump. The bottle is glass which makes it feel a bit more expensive but also makes it less travel-friendly. 


The texture reminds me a lot of the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation as it feels lighter than a typical liquid foundation. I find I need to use quite a bit of this product to cover my whole face. The photos above and below are of one pump of the foundation and I often find this isn't enough. If I was to use this all the time, I can see myself getting through the bottle quite quickly.



I tried applying this foundation with my fingers and it just disappeared when I did that so I've been using my Real Techniques Buffing brush instead.

Please excuse the scary photos of my face and apologies for having wet hair - if you read my recent hair care routine you'll know that I don't like having to use heat on it!


Anyway, the coverage of the foundation is light to medium. I'd say it is buildable to a point. It doesn't look cakey when I apply a couple of layers but I do find that the wear time decreases as a result. The finish is more on the dewy side on my combination skin.

This foundation looks pretty nice when I first apply it and I instantly though I'd found a new favourite foundation but there are four things about this product which have let it down for me. 

Firstly, I have to use so much product to get any sort of coverage beyond that of a heavier tinted moisturiser. Secondly, it  doesn't last very well on my skin. Despite looking great upon application, two hours in and this foundation was slipping and sliding all over the place. It's not attractive. Thirdly, the glitter! I used to use Revlon PhotoReady and I never had an issue with the shimmer in that, in fact, I could barely detect it. I took some photos with this on and there are really obvious chunks of glitter all over my face. I also checked it in a mirror outside on a sunny day and again, I was pretty sparkly. 

And finally, the real problem with it: it breaks me out pretty horribly.


So unfortunately, this foundation isn't for me. Would I recommend it to anyone? I'd say if you were looking for something cheap and easily accessible, it'd be an option as long as it doesn't break you out. If you're looking for something that offers light coverage and your skin is on the dryer side, it'll probably work much better for you than it did for me.

Have you tried Rimmel's Wake Me Up foundation? What did you think of it?

Stace xx




4 comments:

  1. you look dewy and glowing, I love it.
    xo-
    sabrina
    www.samplesize16.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) if only it stayed that way throughout the day, right?!xx

      Delete