Thursday 12 July 2012

Current High Street/Drugstore Favourites

I had quite a few requests recently to do more posts about drugstore or high street make up so I thought it was about time I did a drugstore favourites post. Regular readers will know that I try to keep my stash under control so I don't have a favourite drugstore item from each category; like foundation, for example. I also don't consider a product a 'favourite' unless I use regularly so there are only ten items in this post. Of course I do enjoy other products from the high street but these are my top picks right now.


MUA Primer 
This is a great basic primer; it makes foundation application much smoother. It's not particularly heavy duty in terms of controlling oil and prolonging wear but it's a nice product and I've been using this every day recently. 

Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer
I bought this on a whim alongside the foundation and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. However, I was pleasantly surprised and I've been using this almost daily under my eyes. It's a lot lighter than the other concealer I use so it's nicer for the under eye area.

Collection Lasting Perfection concealer
What beauty blogger worth their salt doesn't have this in their stash? I know it can be a little drying and the shade range is somewhat limited but this stuff is great on blemishes and discolouration. This is my third tube and it's on its way out - I have another waiting in the wings, of course!


MUA Clear mascara
I'm embarrassed to even show you this but I use it as a brow gel; either by itself or over the Smashbox Brow Tech. It's only £1 and again, it's something I use every day.

L'Oreal Color Infallible shadow in Sahara Treasure
I reveiwed this a couple of days ago. It's a great neutral shimmery shade that's easy to work with. It's one of the few high street eyeshadows that has managed to impress me.


MUA Out There Plumping lip glosses
I have this in the shade Buff which is a nice neutral colour. I've also tried a couple of brighter shades which were really pigmented. It does make my lips tingle a bit but it's not painful (for me, at least). 

Revlon Super Lustrous lip glosses
The shade pictured is Nude Lustre which is my most used Super Lustrous gloss but I find the formula to be pretty consistent across the board with these and would recommend most shades. They're not sticky at all and I like the packaging.

Revlon Super Lustrous lipsticks
This is one of my favourite drugstore lipstick formulas. In fact, if you discount the two I'm about to talk about, it's my favourite 'traditional' lipstick formula from the drugstore. They're pigmented and quite long-lasting without being drying.

Revlon lip butters
I had to include these. I'm almost out of my favourite shade, Fig Jam (sadly a US exclusive!) which is saying something. These are sheer but buildable and feel very comfortable on the lips. The one down side is that they're not particularly hydrating so don't really live up to the 'lip butter' claim in my opinion.  The shade pictured is Tutti Frutti. 

L'Oreal Rouge Caresse lipsticks
These are similar to the Revlon lip butters in that they're sheer lipsticks but they feel a lot lighter on the lips. I find them to be a touch drying but they do smell nice. I have a couple of these and find myself reaching for them quite often.  

What are your favourite drugstore/high street products?

Stace xx

12 comments:

  1. I love those MUA glosses too, I've always got Buff somewhere in my handbag as it's such an easy colour to throw on.
    I think I'll have to scout out the Revlon gloss to take on my holidays, I'm too lazy for lipstick when it's boiling hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, I'd recommend Firecracker - it's a lovely sheer orange-red. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love MUA lipsticks. I have four. I can't imagine spending on a high brand lipstick again.

    Caroline
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't rate their lipsticks too highly but I love the glosses :) xx

      Delete
  4. Great review Stacey - I have the Collection 2000 lasting concealer and its fab, yeah drying and you need to get this on fairly quick before it starts to dry, but for the price, it knocks the spots off some of those high end concealers!
    Fran x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love that you're honest about any downsides of the products, unlike some bbloggers :)

    I've been getting dark circles under my eyes lately, so I might try the Rimmel concealer. I don't think my eyes could handle anything too heavy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to use a corrector too on my dark circles but if they're not too bad the Wake Me Up is fine.xx

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge MUA fan, I didn't expect much from them but I was totally surprised! I love the lip butters too I think I wear them everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some MUA products are excellent quality - they could charge twice as much and I'd still buy them :) xx

      Delete
  7. Great post!! I love the way you talk about products its so to the point haha. Think I'm going to have to try the wake me up concealer, I love pleasant surprises like that!xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know what you think of it if/when you try it :) xx

      Delete